[ Return to previous page ]
I am a student, how should I direct my career if I want to eventually work in the expanded role?
It is recommended to broaden your experiences and to acquire automatic emergency reflexes. It would be wise to not remain too long in the same department but instead to diversify (ex. 1 1/2 year in emergency, 6 months in obstetrics and 6 months in paediatrics).
It is obvious that you do not always have the choice and that some positions are presented to you under circumstances not always under your control.
Here are the departments that carry a lot of weight in the analysis of your résumé:
- Emergency room
- Départements actifs : Intensive care unit, delivery room, out patient clinic
- CLSC : maternal and paediatric follow-ups, paediatric vaccination, diabetes follow-up
Here are the departments that don’t count much in your résumé:
- Highly specialised departments: hemodialysis, research
- Administration et management
- Care for the elderly living in a residence or extended care facilities
- Theoretical teaching only without active supervised training