The advantages are numerous and vary from one person to another. What we see as an advantage can be an inconvenience for someone else. You are the judge. However, if most of these advantages seem like inconveniences to you, then maybe you should rethink the reasons that motivate you to work in remote regions. Working in the Far North changes you but you must be ready to accept this change and you have to go there for the right reasons. The Far North is not a place to hide from reality because, sooner or later, this reality will catch up with you. As a general rule, here are the advantages of working in the Far North for someone who is ready for this adventure:
- Interior rejuvenation: thanks to the peacefulness of the place, wide-open spaces and free time, you can take the time to get to know yourself better.
- Personal values: by mixing with different people who appreciate the present moment instead of always looking to the future, you develop unsuspected personal values.
- Well-being: you learn to go outside, breathe fresh air. Without noticing it, you develop an interest in taking care of yourself, and many people discover outside sports.
- Team work: you now understand what team work means, you build solid ties with your peers, you understand the priceless value they represent.
- Professional challenge: you will never live 2 days alike, work hours fly by so quickly because the job is so stimulating that you do not see time passing by. You have to excel regularly and this is how you make progress.
- Time to nurture: at last! Now you can take the time to properly answer your patients, you can look after them like you always wanted, that is to say with dignity and respect, and by the same token be respected and appreciated.
- Satisfaction: you appreciate thanks and you notice the changes following your treatments and advice. When you go home at night, you know that you have made a small difference in yours patients’ lives.
- Sense of creativity: you must not wait for activities to come to you all prepared, you often need to make some effort but some evenings can become unforgettable thanks to activities organized by using your sense of originality and your resourcefulness. Some examples: thematic suppers, aerobics, picnics in the tundra, sliding in the snow, observation of the stars and northern lights, belly dancing…
- Sharing of culture: to assist to cultural rituals, sleep in an igloo, canoeing, learn to fish and to smoke fish…
- Resume: someone who has worked in the Far North is bound to have developed their autonomy and an exhaustive resourcefulness. Having had a diversified job on all aspects, at your return, it will be much easier to obtain a position in the different sectors of your profession.
- Savings: thanks to a higher salary, you have the possibility to put money aside and to make investments for your future.
- Better person: you have lived an experience that will follow you forever and will benefit you as much at a personal level as at a professional level.