It is frequent and normal to have apprehensions when you are about to change work environment. It is even more normal when the job is at hundreds of kilometres from home and that the culture, the climate and the surroundings are completely different. It is unknown territory! To overcome this problem, nurses are often eager for more information and do some research on the internet but they do not necessarily find all the answers to their questions.
At Solutions Nursing, we are here to help you prepare in order for you to avoid many disappointments. Our expertise will make you feel secure and will help you focus your energy on the right things in order to be truly ready to live a life-changing experience.
Preparing does not only include buying a warm coat but also getting prior knowledge of the environment. For this reason, we suggest that you follow these steps:
- First of all, before you get started, watching our online information session "Working in the Far North" will shed light on your project. We specifically created this session for people who start the whole process. Afterwards, you will have a clear idea whether this project is for you or not.
- Then, you have to make sure that you possess all the professional and personal qualities and all the experience required for the position. At this point you will be individually assessed during an interview.
- If you pass the interview, we strongly advise you to follow the online training session "Introduction to working in remote regions". You will learn more about remote regions.
- You cannot go and work in the Far North as a nurse in an expanded role without being well trained. The expanded role is far different than a usual nurse´s role. You will then have to attend the Expanded Role Training program to become professionally prepared.
- Once you have completed your training, we will allocate you a replacement in a community. A meeting will be scheduled with us to give you specifics about this community. An information document has been created for each of the communities. During this meeting, we will help you make a specific list of things you will have to bring to this place.
- Before you leave for the North, you will get all the important information: how to get there, contact details of the key-resource people, significant information to avoid unpleasant surprises.
As you may notice, preparation and support are our strengths. We want to help you prepare as best as possible. With Solutions Nursing, you can sleep on both ears before you leave for the Far North!